Tuesday, November 17, 2009

From Justice Kennedy, a Lesson in Journalism

A.) This article offers two differing opinions on the subject of 'quote reviewing'. Justice Anthony Kennedy had spoken at a Manhattan high school, and the school's newspaper wanted to cover a story about the speech. However, Justice Kennedy's office insisted on approving the article before publication under the pretense that it wanted to "make sure the quotations attributed to him were accurate". The school's newspaper complied, and the draft of the article was returned with altered quotations. The article gives varying perspectives from two adults, one insisting that "fact-checking was good", while the other argued that it was "an exercise in image control".
B.) It's kind of a given that this article applies to journalism, as it deals with borderline censorship and freedom of press. It questions whether it is acceptable for anyone - including a Supreme Court Justice - to request a quote review. In terms of our class, I think this article should motivate us to do a flawless job of acquiring quotations. If we know what we recorded is right down to the last period, we can be confident in what we publish - even if a Supreme Court Justice is questioning what we wrote.
C.) I think it's almost misleading of the article not to specifically tell readers who requested the quote review - it's one thing if it was his office, and another thing entirely if it was the Justice himself, in which case I would consider him incredibly hypocritical. So I do wonder who it was that actually made the call to The Daltonian.
I also noticed how the article neglected to give the students' perspective on all this. It had two differing opinions from adults and included a comment from The Daltonian's facultly advisor. But not a word from the students, who were directly affected. I'd like to know if they think it's okay for anyone - with or without prestige - to alter the newspaper they worked so hard to produce.

9 comments:

  1. I also wonder if the Justice requested the review or if it was someone from his staff... It would seem to me that it really shouldn't be their concern if the Justice is not concerned... I didn't even notice that the article lacked a student's perspective, so I agree with you there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also kind of wondered about who made the request. Now that I think about it, I think the article mentioned it very vaguely that they didn't know who made the request. Either that or I read it wrong. And you're also the first person to point out the lack of the student's perspective that I didn't think about either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you're right Angie, they didn't know for certain who sent the request, which in itself makes the request questionable, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your last question is right...if they didn't write the paper, they shouldn't have the right to edit or fix anything in it...they should go to the people who wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right! The article never did get the opinions of the sutdent journalists. To me, this article did not do a very good job in getting all sides of the story, including that of the Justice's and the students'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheese Curd (lol sorry I couldn't resist...)I totally agree that the writer should have covered all sides- not just a part. That's what a journalists job is and if you can't do it or you don't want to, then your not really respecting your job title...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never noticed that it didn't cover the students perspective, it would have been nice to tie things up and produce a more "fair" story. They have Kennedy's camp explaining the whole thing yet leave out the students' side.
    MUY BUENO

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny:

    Your words are as fiery as usual! Your reflections bring up some extremely important points, specifically concerning the writing of this article itself. Where are the student perspectives? Great question – I hope some of you are ambitious enough to follow up and see what stories have been written since this one, even if they have been published more “locally” to that high school. If anyone finds something out, share with the rest of us! As has been true in the other blog discussions, I’m seeing some high quality thinking here – nice work!

    ReplyDelete